“It’s like the f***ing Planet of the Apes around here. Bring in the Army, that’s what I say, bring ‘em in now.” A burly man in his 40s stomps through Lewisham town centre this morning surveying the carcasses of burnt out cars. He’s angry at what he sees in his town following last night’s riot and he is sharing his views with anyone who will listen. Further down the street towards Lee High Road – the scene of last night’s standoff between the police and a large crowd – a couple in their 20s walk with brushes in hand planning to do their bit to sweep glass from the pavement. Welcome to the morning after the night before.
Most read this week
- Crime reports
- REVEALED: ‘CHISLEHURST NEVERLAND’ JACKSON MUSEUM
- DIRTY DISHES IN CHISLEHURST
- BUCKING THE TREND WITH THE BICKLEY DELI
- COUNCIL SENDS EASTER SIGNAL TO RESIDENTS
- HARENC SCHOOL REACHES END OF THE ROAD
- Is this the last band to have gigged in Chislehurst Caves?
- HAVE YOUR SAY IN THE 4X4 DEBATE
- JAPANESE DAY TO RAISE FUNDS FOR TSUNAMI VICTIMS
- 'SCARFACE DRUGS RAT' ARRESTED